Summer Research Experience for Undergraduates
June 1st - July 24th, 2015
Application Submission Deadline: March 15, 2015
Initial Applicant Reviews will begin in December 2014. Only a few positions will be offered at this time. Additional applicants will be added to the pool until the deadline. Final Applicant Reviews will occur between March 1st and March 15th.
Our Center offers undergraduate students outside of UT, Knoxville the chance to perform in-depth research with faculty at CURENT's world class facilites. Students will work on various research topics. More specifically, these projects will investigate:
- power systems
- power electronics and drives
- alternative energy sources
- cyber security & smart grid
- energy storage
- control and communication
- power transmission
- large data analytics and visualization
- distributed and collaborative visualization
- power market structures
- fault resiliency through robust collaboration among local controllers
Each student will customize their own research based on personal interests by working closely with faculty and graduate students throughout an eight week summer program.
The program will culminate with a poster presentation to faculty, graduate students and fellow researchers to highlight each individual's work.
Our REU program typically begins during late May and runs through July. Each student earns approximately $4,000 (exact amounts are TBD in October) for 8 weeks of research, and campus housing is provided at no cost. We will also cover travel expenses up to $500.
Meals will be the responsibility of the student, but UT's campus is conveniently located less than 1 mile from a large variety of restaurants. Campus dining also provides additional meal options.
To apply to the Summer REU Program, you must:
1) Be a junior or non-graduating senior student at an accredited college or university in the United States.
2) Have at least a 3.0 cumulative GPA.
3) Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident of the U.S.
4) Be able to devote 35-40 hours per week to the program from 9am through 5pm M-F.
5) Not take classes or hold other employment during the REU period.
6) Attend all required programs, seminars, lectures, etc. each week.
The Center is committed to promoting diversity within science and engineering. We especially encourage women, students from underrepresented groups (African American, Native American, Hispanic/Latino, Pacific Islander), and students with disabilities.
To apply for CURENT's Summer REU program, you will need to submit:
- Online application
- Unofficial college transcript
- Two letters of recommendation from faculty advisers
- 2-page personal statement explaining background, research interests & career goals
Note: Applicants must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents enrolled in full-time accredited undergraduate institutions.